Minerals and Planetarium

 

The establishment of this section as well as the whole museum was based on the materials of the rich encyclopedic museum at the former French college in the town of Plovdiv.

Opened in 1955, the geological exposition was in conformity with the then concepts and requirements of the school subjects concerning the Earth’s structure, as well as the origin of the animal world, the vegetable kingdom, and the human race. Through the years, the exposition and the overall stock of the “Geology” section have been replenished with new paleontological, mineralogical, and petrographic specimens from Bulgaria and abroad provided through collecting outings, buy-ups from private persons, exchange with related museums, donations, “Sv. Kliment Ohridsky” Sofia University, and “Earth and People” National Museum - Sofia.

   Through the years, the exposition and the overall stock of the “Geology” section have been replenished with new paleontological, mineralogical, and petrographic specimens from Bulgaria and abroad provided through collecting outings, buy-ups from private persons, exchange with related museums, donations, “Sv. Kliment Ohridsky” Sofia University, and “Earth and People” National Museum - Sofia. In early 1991, following the overall reconstruction of the “Geology” Hall, the exposition was arranged under a new thematic plan and modern design. Three sub-sections – Paleontology, Mineralogy, and Petrography, are presented in an area of 100 m2.